A safe, economical, and smart way to protect your car or vehicle from the harsh weather is by adding a carport to your property. Many homeowners, who are still struggling to repay their home loans, cannot even think of constructing a garage, in case they didn’t make a garage while making or buying the home. Sometimes you may own a new vehicle too, which may not get enough room in your old garage, and in that case, you may need some shelter for it. Whether you don’t have a garage, or require more room for new vehicles, or are making a home where you don’t plan to make a garage for the high expenses, you would find adding a carport to be one of the best and smartest solutions to them.
What is a carport
A carport is a shelter for the car, which stands not on walls, but on posts, and sometimes may be supported at one or two sides with walls. The roof above is either fully covered, or contains metal or wooden slats spaced at regular intervals. It’s a patio design, but not to withstand heavy weights, and yet to withstand weather, and give the car or vehicle under it the needed protection. The props or posts of a carport can be hollow or full and may be made of wood, metal, vinyl, etc. The roof above can have various shapes. Straight, slanting, A style, and many such shapes are possible through the roof. The main purpose of the carport is to:
- Give the car or vehicle the space to stand.
- Protect it from harsh weather, the sun, rain, storms, snow, and winds.
- Make it easy for the driver to drive in and out the vehicle from the shelter.
Besides, there are many other advantages of a carport, which makes them more appealing than a garage for many car owners.
What are the benefits of making a carport
The benefits of making a carport are many. A carport gives you the much-needed economic freedom to make the structure the way you like and even within a meager and limited budget. The structure promises full functionality and strength thus make every penny spent worthily of it. Here are the best reasons to make a carport:
- The carport can be made on simply four posts and a straight roof, which is the simplest and most economical design based on the material chosen.
- You don’t need municipal permission to make a carport, as this is deemed a temporary structure.
- The carport does not need a foundation and can be built in any area, either away from the main building or adjacent to it.
- If your area is relatively safe and has no reported cases of car theft and crime, then your car can be left safe in the carport.
- Some carports are mobile, and you can change their position as per your necessity.
How to make a carport
Building a carport is one of the easiest things, and is a tiny DIY project. You will simply have to find out the dimensions of the carport and accordingly will have to place a custom order for the parts which you may then erect manually or with one handyman. Without any base needed, and without any foundation, all that is needed is to fix the props on the ground to hold the roof in place. You may even buy heavy bases for the posts to be hoisted, and the whole structure can be shifted from the concerned place as needed.